Tuesday, August 10, 2010

That's a good guess but not quite what I was looking for

Today my student teacher sat at the back of the class reading something that was not related to the class I was teaching and didn't once get up and talk to the students or offer them any help, even though there were tons of girls with their hands waving in the air waiting for me - where is the initiative I ask you?! I won't be worrying a dot about what she writes about me now. Went to have a word with her after the lesson but she took off while I was talking to a student. Must have a word with her tomorrow.
Funniest teaching moment happened in my year 9 English class today. We are learning about debating for our year 9 debating competition. We did a brainstorm about what they knew already - it seemed they knew quite a bit so I asked them what the statement that the teams argue is called (the moot) They threw out some good guesses but no one seemed to know. Then one very sweet but not so smart girl, called out very earnestly "I know, I know...it's master-bating" The rest of the class depleted the classroom of oxygen as they took a collective intake of air before bursting into uncontrollable and raucous laughter, me included. I had tears coming out of my eyes as I tried to get the class back on task. I thanked the girl for not only the highlight of my day but one of the funniest teaching moments I have had in a long time.

12 comments:

  1. Ah, it's not the twinkle in his eye, but the tilt in his kilt ye lassies better watch for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "master-bating"
    Jesus! (sorry Jesus)
    What are you teaching these girls?
    Where is your code of practice?
    Do modern day teachers even have one?
    Jesus did when he preached to the masses.
    By the way, vixen, Jesus loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. I have had my concerns about this person "Second' for some time. I do worry about some of these 'born again' Christians and suspect that they have ulterior motives. I do agree with him however that discussing (laughing about) such a serious subject as masturbation with your students is not entirely seemly. Please don't take my comment amiss but as a new BF I feel that I am entitled to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're having some laughs with your girls. I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if it was a co-ed class?

    You student teacher sounds like she needs a good kick up the arse, or maybe some moral support. What you describe could be expressions of lack of confidence or even fear. Remember what it felt like, first time in front of the kids?
    Maybe she's looking for help?

    BTW I would just ignore second, he's going through more personalities than Warren Beatty, and his current irritating God-botherer and Jesus freak persona won't last too long, and I suspect he'll clean out his blog (again)before very long

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of giving my student teacher some advice today - I am not the sort of person to give a student teacher a kick up the arse, well not before I have given her lots of support...support first, arse kicking later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fflur, I'm pleased that you and Elma have become best friends. I enjoy reading her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fflur, I don't want to butt in but I'd watch that Jessica if I was you. I think that she wants to undermine your friendship with Elma.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Richard seems to be thinking my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Richard seems to be thinking my mind."

    I know that Richard is impersonating me but this grammar suggests Robert. Maybe he is reverting. I warned him about entropy some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Richard seems to be thinking my mind."
    On second thoughts that grammar's okay. Sorry I mouthed off. Sorry too for pretending to be Richard in the comment above.
    I can be a dick at times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "On blogger since August 2010" is the giveaway here when you look at the profile of the above 'Curmudgeon"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooops. Look out! Bluuuurrggh!
    Hey. Richard was right. There are carrots in it.

    ReplyDelete