Monday, August 16, 2010

The set up...

There may be something written across my forehead that says "please set me up with any single men" I have never seen it there when I look in the mirror, but it seems there is something about me that makes people want to set me up...is it the stench of desperation? I hope not. I have been on some remarkably bad set ups. One of my friends likes to set me up a lot - I have only taken her up on two suggestions and they were both awful. The first one was the set up where you go to a party and there amongst the real party goers is the set up....(please say dah dah dah dah dahhhhhhh in a scary way here)......lurking by the table of dips and other delights is the a tall, gangly, pimply, man that resembles a pencil to me and this is the amazing guy with the overwhelmingly awesome personality that your 'friend' wants to be your next bf. I use the quotation marks around friend here for obvious reasons - I am questioning her friendship here, not so much because she wants to set me up with the pencil but because what does she really know about me if that is what she wants to set me up with? Aren't friends meant to know you well? I didn't take a lot of time conversing with the pencil, I knew that I was not destined to date stationary. The next time my friend decided to set me she gave my phone number to her friend - these friends are always described as "he is such a nice guy, really caring etc etc...." the etc etc is where I tune out cause I know how to translate what she has said "he is ugly" I don't want to sound shallow here, but hell maybe I am. After he had sent me texts and emails I thought he sounded somewhat normal so I went on a date with him. I soon as I spotted him my gaydar started to blink, and by time I had seen his house (immacualte) tasted his wine, seen his clothes and heard him talk my gardar was beeping so loud I couldn't hear myself say "get out of here Fflur!"
I tell you about these bad set ups in the hope that the man Miss Charlie Lee is trying to set me up with is no where near as bad, and that he does not just become more blogging fodder...

14 comments:

  1. Yeah. I reckon I know what you mean babe. My sheila friends are always trying to set me up. Bloody horrible. Maybe we should get together and swap some notes. Gimme a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only advise about how things were done when I was young...
    Always go for the bonk. There again, I wasn't an attractive woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shame Fflur that a lovely girl like you seems to be having such bad luck with men. I've got a couple of nice boys in my Year 13 Computing class who might suit.
    Not spotty, not pencil-like, not geeks. My arrangement fee is quite reasonable. I'll post some photos and you can take your pick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ignore Richard/Curmudgeon above. He did always go for the bonk but wasn't very discriminating. Your description of Mr Pencil Man if applied to women would have made it look like Richard was going out with a super model compared to some of his dates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Real Curmudgeon was single for so long that I thought he was a priest. I wonder what you call the opposite of a chick magnet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This 'pencil' guy is a worm! Squash him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fflur, as I suspected, you've shown yourself to be just another shallow bitch! I tried, but this is exactly why I prefer to date nice men.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the speed at which multiple personalities are being invented is making my head spin

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sort of dull wading through meaningless comments isn't it? I'm sure Ms Lee has reliable sources of single fellas. Actually I know a couple myself but because I'm a guy it's never occurred to me to "set up" anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds exciting - surely CL knows what she is doing! Can't wait for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "It's sort of dull wading through meaningless comments isn't it?"
    Life is a set of meaningless comments. What is happening here is life unfolding.
    Fflur, would it help in any way if I loaned you the picture of the stripper?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, comments one, six and seven are meaningless commments, the rest is life unfolding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, manoferrors, who appointed you god?

    ReplyDelete
  14. "So, manoferrors, who appointed you god?"

    He did

    ReplyDelete